Thursday 24 January 2013

Motivation

[Notice and welcome message can be found in previous post (Link).]

The literature available abundantly in public domain / online, unambiguously talks about well-being associated with physical exercise. The following lists a few of them. Let us motivate ourselves and get started, if not done that yet.

Benefit of exercise:

        Improved cardio-respiratory function
        More efficient metabolism
        Improved body composition
        Improved immune function and wellness over life span
        Increased energy and stamina, endurance, strength
        Improved sleep
        Vigor for tasks of daily living
        Decreased risk of injury
        Improved self image

Long term effects:

        Increased cognitive functioning – alertness, learning, memory and ability to manage stress
        Risk of heart disease and heart attack significantly reduced
        Decreased body fat
        Reduced risk of colon cancer and other forms of cancer
        Insulin sensitivity remains constant or improves, helping to prevent Type-2 diabetes
        Reduced risk of low-back pain, injuries, osteoporosis
        Lower resting blood pressure, reduced platelet stickiness which is a factor of coronary heart disease
        Higher level of good cholesterol (HDL) and lower level of bad cholesterol (LDL)

We should be careful about mental road-blocks which may try to deceive us in our journey towards health and fitness. Few of these, as given in the literature, are given below. We shall overcome them by motivating each other.

        “I don’t have time.”
        “I’m too tired.”
        “I don’t like to sweat.”
        “I don’t know what to do specifically.”
        “I don’t want to.”
        “I’m afraid I’ll hurt myself.”
        “It’s boring.”
        “I can’t stay motivated.”
        “It is not important.”
        “I cannot wake up early in the morning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment